Sunday, November 2, 2008

Update!

Alright, I have had a lot of requests for a blog update so I will do my best to write a long one.

So, I think Mom and Dad will write a little on this blog as well, but I can just say they had a fantastic time. They saw every animal anyone would ever want to see on safari...I don't think they realize how lucky they are to have seen so many cats -- eating, sleeping, mating, etc. So, they left on Sunday and I went back to "school." Classes are happening, but they are just so different than classes at home. Once in a while a professor won't show up, but most of the time they are lectures that are in English, but taught by teachers who don't really know English that well. The resources available here are not great, so a lot of the time teachers are lecturing about really outdated material. I have made a few friends with Tanzanians in various classes, but its harder than you might have expected, especially because the students are not really here to socialize, much more to get an education.

Tony and Megan had their birthdays last weekend, so we did a lot of celebrating, including going out to a club in the city which was really fun. What else to report? I've been doing some tourist shopping which is really quite fun and going out for fancy coffee more frequently. I really am excited to get back to the states for real, good food, and coffee shops that have soy milk. Mmmm. We are planning on making a version of Thanksgiving dinner here, using the kitchens of various women we are friends with and a lot of canned versions of food we like. I am in charge of the chicken (there are no turkeys in this country).

This weekend I went out with a Tanzanian friend to a concert which was really fun. Megan and I were the only non-Tanzanians there and a big hit.

Last night Miriam and I went to visit an American family that she knows that is living in Dar for the next few years. (They are teachers at the International School) and it was really interesting to see that ex-pat world out here. It is a whole other world, much nicer than the rest of Dar, but you can't really blame them for wanting running water, electricity, internet, etc.

So, I'm half way around the world and the only thing anyone can talk about is the US election. I would say 99% of people here want Obama, and everyone is interested in talking about it. Not like this will make a difference, but: PLEASE GO VOTE!

Alright, off to lunch soon.

With Love,

RQ

No comments: