Wednesday, November 12, 2008

2 Pieces of Not-so-great News

1. I found out from my mother, that my puppy, Layla has recently died. This is the message from my mom: "at 5:00 pm yesterday we put Lovely Miss Layla to rest. She was down to 7.5 pounds and more than weak. She was 15 1/2 years old. She was a brave fighter who lived life her way. She was loved and will be dearly missed everyday." I am quite sad but it is particularly difficult for my mom, who put so much time and energy into keeping this dog healthy. Rest in Peace, Layla.


2. Today the University of Dar es Salaam was closed indefinitely, following 3 days of protests and student strikes. The students were striking about loans and financial aid, and the minister of education refused to meet with the student leaders. According to UDSM policy, if a strike lasts for 3 days, the school is closed. The army drove all around campus today announcing that everyone except foreign students had 3 hours to evacuate. Supposedly they will continue holding classes for us (I am the only foreign student in a few of my classes!). I am sad especially to see my roommate leave, since we have spent so much time making Tanzanian friends, and now they are leaving! :(

On a happier note, my friend Stephen from Stanford is visiting and I am giving him a crash course in Dar es Salaam life...tomorrow we are going to Zanzibar! Wooo. It was an exciting time for him to be on campus, eh?

Ok, I will write more soon.

Go hug your dogs.

Love,
Tumaini...haha Rachel

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad! When I go home I will let my dog lick my face repeatedly.

LJ said...

I'm sorry about Layla.

And that's crazy about the University!

I hope you have/had a wonderful time with Stephen.ng