Thursday, July 3, 2008

Made it to Dar

I made it to Dar last night at around 9:00 and all is well so far. I had a strange night of sleep, and was woken by all kinds of crazy sounds. I have a single room for the next few weeks (7 weeks of orientation) which is pretty nice. We have no running water now, but we do have wireless internet. I think it is hilarious -- so Tanzania!

The most exciting news (not really but still) is on the way to class we saw 5 wild monkeys! MONKEYS! It was really exciting. I must be in Africa of something.

The people on the program (6 here now) are all very friendly, and we are all in intermediate or advanced Swahili. We had class this morning (the second or third for most of them). My friend Michelle, from Swahili at Stanford is in my class which was so nice to see a familiar face. The next 7 weeks in Swahili class every morning for three hours and then a few structured activities, but more freedom as the weeks progress. I will definitely find a community service project (there are several good ones to choose from) soon.

I’m not sure what details to include -- I had beans and rice for lunch for 60 cents and a coke (sweetened with real sugar) and we are going to Indian food tonight. I took a lovely bucket bath this morning (hot hot water).

I’m feeling good -- nervous of course, but excited about what is to come.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I will be getting my cell phone tonight, so I’ll give out the number when I get it.

Love to all!
Rachel (Recho!)

No comments: