Sunday, August 10, 2008

Top 15 Things That I Do Here That I Would NEVER Do in the States

15. Become shocked or offended when I see women's knees or shoulders.
14. See a white person on the street and assume I know them
13. Not stop to look when I see a monkey
12. Not get insulted when people shout "White Person" (in Swahili) as if it were my name
11. Get complimented on my language skills after saying ONE word in Swahili
10. Run across a 4 lane highway.
9. Not flinch at all when I see a chicken in the bus that I'm on.
8. Let 25 dirty children play with my hair.
7. Spend a large portion of my time explaining why a don't go to church on Sunday.
6. Wait for 2 hours at a restaurant for my food and not complain, or receive any kind of apology.
5. Celebrate when I take a bite of food without finding a rock in it.
4. Consider it a miracle when I find a bathroom with toilets, toilet paper, running water AND soap, regardless of how bad it smells.
3. Look at a 16 seat van with 25 people packed in it an assume there is still plenty of room to hop on.
2. Argue for 10 minutes about a 50 cent decrease in price...and then leave since the guy wouldn't lower it.
1. Take a free ride in the back of a stranger's pick-up truck.

1 comment:

Megan said...

So true. You are so witty. I'm so happy to know such a clever person.